Thursday 27 March 2014

Seasick

*Warning* This post is not for the faint of heart...or stomach! Ha. Yesterday was pretty rough...I'm not going to lie! We left St. Lucia and started our journey towards St. Vincent and the Grenadines at 7 am. I woke up around then, but didn't get out of bed until 7:30. My room is near the the bow of the boat, which from what I understand is the place that gets the most movement. I felt like my whole room was on a trampoline that was being jumped on!



The distance between St. Lucia and Bequia was about 50 miles. I'm pretty sure we're anchored in Port Elizabeth, which is on the West side of the island. Bequia is the second largest island in the Grenadines and it took us about 8 hours to get between the two. I definitely did not anticipate getting sea sick! I didn't even bring anything besides Dramamine, because I generally don't get motion sickness and I didn't have time to run to the doctor to get a prescription. I've been on planes of almost every size, trains, and automobiles - even cruise ships and smaller boats and have never gotten sick. (Maybe occasionally in the car, but not recently!) But the ocean got me good today! I didn't eat breakfast, which was smart because an hour into our journey I had to run downstairs to the bathroom! I grabbed some Dramamine and went up to the top deck hoping to get some fresh air when Benji immediately vomited. Ugh. Definitely gross. I've got to be earning some good mommy points here! Poor kid. He's had a rough few days! He literally spent the whole day looking into the void until he got cold and threw a blanket over himself! (Pic below.) I also threw up a short while later in the kitchen sink (so embarrassing and gross in front of Jenn who walked out of the room, but what can ya do?!) and again in one of the back bathrooms. Jenn eventually gave me some Zofran, which is a medicine she sometimes takes for pregnancy! Ha ha. Thank goodness I kept that down and started to feel a bit better, but I was down and out for most of the day. Nanny fail! (Oh and p.s...if yesterday is what pregnancy is like then I will continue to stay away from boys for a long, long time!)



Here are our barf totals for the day:
Jenn & Dave: 0 (Yachting pros!)
Melinda: 3 (Amateur...)
Savannah: 0
Calvin: 0
Isabel: 0
Benjji: 2
Matthew: 0
Alex: 1

Melinda FTW!!! ...it's going to be an interesting 3 months. Ha! I don't think we'll have a TON of passages like that, but there's sure to be several more! The boat tipped so far to the right a few times that the furniture on the top deck slammed into the other side. It was actually a bit scary! Luckily no one got hurt. I grabbed Ben and made him sit with me in the Captain's chair. I kept wondering what in the heck we'd do if one of us got a good cut and needed stitches!

Lucky for me I was fine as soon as we set the anchor, which was about 4 in the afternoon. I felt 110% better and couldn't wait to get into the water! It is so fun to be able to just jump right off the boat into beautiful blue water!

More to come!

XOXO



No comments:

Post a Comment