Sunday 23 March 2014

If You Like Pina Coladas

Today was pretty fantastic. It was my day off! (I'm still a tad unsure about how Saturdays go...) We're just hanging out in the marina waiting for the boat to get into ship shape (see what I did there?), so I figured I'd better get out to explore and have some alone time! I always feel so independent when I'm traveling by myself. (Or alone-ish.) I LOVE it!

I started out the day right by going to church with the Bloods. Benji woke up sick, so he stayed home with Jenn and Baby Alex. From what I understand, we'll only be able to make it to church about 50% of the time - maybe even less. So I'm really glad we were able to go. I tried to do some pondering during the meetings, but during sacrament Matthew was all over the place! We were sitting on chairs that fold outwards and at one point he was bent over backwards over the bottom portion...I was trying so hard not to crack up! He is the most mischievous little boy ever, but it's hard to be stern with him because he is so darn cute! Before Sunday School I met up with a senior missionary couple serving here in St. Lucia. Brother and Sister Gubler are from Tooele, my hometown! Sister Gubler was speaking when we walked in and I totally thought she looked familiar. Her children went to my high school and although I do not know any of them super well, I am really good friends with their cousins, the Dunns!

{Ignore my four eyes, frizzy hair, and sunburn...I'm struggling!}

Relief Society was also amazing. Side note - the Caribbean ironically reminds me a great deal of Tanzania! I was here exactly 1 year ago on a cruise before heading to Africa. I couldn't believe how similar the 2 places were geographically/ethnically. The branch here in St. Lucia made me really miss the people I know and love at the branch in Arusha!  There were only about 9 or 10 women in Relief Society besides three of us visitors. They were in no hurry to get that meeting started - we sat around shooting the breeze for the first half hour! The women were just gabbing away. They were so charismatic, personable, and full of life. I was actually amazed by them. Half of the women had been baptized within the last 6 months or so and most of them were single mothers. (One has actually been a member for 29 years, which is crazy because I think the church has only been formally organized here for 25 years!) At one point we veered off topic and started talking about the Law of Chastity. One of them said "No guarantee that if a man is fine I won't double back!!!" I laughed a lot throughout the lesson, which of course they commented on too. Stupid loud, crazy laugh! The woman who taught the lesson also said she had visions...which included one with me in it last night! I'm thinking that it was most definitely deja vu! So random. Another more or less asked the other two visitors, both a lot older and married, what it was like to be married to a Priesthood holder (also off topic). I also couldn't help but feel sorry for these wonderful women who are so clearly trying to do what is right. Why aren't there more good guys in this world goshdangit?! I guess that's another blog post for another blog at another time. :)

{Crummy picture. YES everyone thought David and I were married and YES everyone always thinks they are my kids. Do I look like I've had 6 kids?!}


After church I took a taxi to Reduit Beach. Little did I know I literally ran to it yesterday! (Who knew there was a beach on the other side of those buildings along the road?!) Gah. I got myself some lunch and the pina coladas were um...buy one get one free?! Or something like that. I love pina coladas SO much. (Virgin, of course - especially since I was already breaking the Sabbath! Ha! Yikes.) 

{Classy pic taken exclusively for Karie Hughes ...please think back to that one time we sucked one down so quickly a dude bought us another at that swim up bar in Cancun.}

Online it said that Reduit Beach was the most beautiful beach here on the island, which made me happy because last time I was on the other side where the Pitons are. It was, indeed, a beach and St. Lucia itself is beautiful, but it was crowded and not the most fantastic beach I've ever been to! No complaints here though. Below are some more shots of my views. I tried read for a bit and did some overall relaxing. This is my zone, for sure! I ended up walking home since it's so close to Rodney Bay Marina, which is where were are currently located. This is the life for me!

XOXO



No comments:

Post a Comment